What does success look like?
Harriet Laurie, who is transforming prisons with the Parelli Program.
In 2010, Harriet Laurie brought two horses to a correctional facility in the United Kingdom and worked with young offenders for seven days at a time. This was the beginning of TheHorseCourse. Since then, this program has proven its impact by reducing reoffending rates by 27% and creating life-changing shifts in behaviour with at-risk youth.
Harriet credits the development of this program to her own journey with Parelli Natural Horsemanship. Initially, she was struck by the opportunities that Parelli foundations present for self-development; through TheHorseCourse, she is applying the same principles to rehabilitation across the United Kingdom, gaining recognition in the mental health, criminal justice, and parenting & youth services communities.
Parelli Professional Stephanie Gaunt has often collaborated with TheHorseCourse, and has this to say: “Harriet has harnessed the honesty of the horse to create a uniquely powerful course for installing mental and emotional self-control.”
To learn more about TheHorseCourse, visit
“Harriet has harnessed the honesty of the horse to create a uniquely powerful course for installing mental and emotional self-control.”
~Parelli Professional Stephanie Gaunt
More about Harriet Laurie
- Utilizes Parelli foundations for self-development.
- Works with violent offenders and sees incredible statistical evidence of improvement.
- Is recognized by mental health, parenting, and youth services communities across
the United Kingdom
- Is supported and vetted from major academic institutions.
- Offers free Parelli Level 1 assessments to her participants.
- Collaborates with Parelli Instructors, who are involved in the teaching process.